What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a way of learning to relate directly to whatever is happening in your life, a way of taking charge of your life, a way of doing something for yourself that no one else can do for you – discovering your own ‘inner calm’, and thus increasing your ability to manage stress, challenges and the demands of everyday life. In contrast, you’ve probably encountered moments of “mindlessness” – a loss of awareness resulting in forgetfulness, separation from self, and a sense of living mechanically.
Restoring within yourself a balanced sense of health and well-being requires increased awareness of all aspects of self, including body and mind, heart and soul. Mindfulness-based stress reduction is intended to ignite this inner capacity and infuse your life with awareness and increased joy.
What Can You Expect?
This evidence-based course schedule consists of 8 weekly 2.5 hour classes and day-long retreat on a Saturday. There will be approximately 15 participants. This highly participatory, practical course includes:
- Instruction in mindfulness theory and guided meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Group dialogue and discussion aimed at clarifying the concepts and sharing personal experiences
- Individually tailored instruction
- Assignments for home practice
- Home practice audio materials and manual
The course is challenging and life-affirming. The aim is to offer a safe, supportive, and deeply engaging learning environment.